30.7.15

Bagel-making


 
When you have little money, paying over a dollar for a round piece of bread that consists of flour, yeast and water seems excessive. Granted, there's a lot of cheaper bread to choose from but we got a bit hooked on bagels in Vancouver so I decided to find out why they're so expensive. 

This is my third batch, with a different recipe that didn't actually claim to be 'easy'. It was not. It took all night and it's past Lukas's bedtime now. Here they are! I always love it when you can turn cheap and accessible ingredients with a bit of elbow grease into something special or valuable. It makes me feel like I'm surprisingly well off. I must be, with these luxuries...

Another luxury we've had available lately is raw milk. It's very creamy and nice, though I can't tell much difference to the non-homogenised stuff from the supermarket, other than it's cheaper without the packaging, marketing and the insane overeads of the Australian food conglomerate.

So there you go. Luxuries don't have to mean spending more money. You only have to put in a little effort. Now excuse me as I'm going to split one of my luxuries, toast it lightly and apply some cream cheese and jam.

No comments :

Post a Comment