15.7.15

A New Year's Resolution

Since we arrived back home, many things have happened. I've acquired a feather down jacket, signed up for a 3-month gym membership, joined a raw milk ring and stopped picking at my nails. I've also organised a creativity workshop, during which I had not one but TWO creative ideas that required acting on.

After the workshop and some furious writing down of ideas, I realised I needed to restart my old writers group to get some feedback that doesn't kill me (never ask the husband). So I texted my dear writer friends I hadn't talked to in about 3-4 years. Forgot to say 'hi how are you', there didn't seem to be enough time. I just wanted to know if they were keen to start up again. And they were!

All of the above is actually part of the New Year's resolution I just made *to participate*. I know it's July, so what? It took me a few months to decide what I wanted. And here it is. I want to start participating, WITHOUT being asked to. I'm sure it will annoy some people, but the alternative - waiting at home to be invited to stuff - annoys ME, so this is how I'll do it from now on. I've also decided I don't HAVE TO do everything I'm invited or asked to do. So I've said no to some work that doesn't excite me or isn't taking our business to where it needs to go. When you work for peanuts, it's surprisingly easy to be choosy :)

All the while Auckland has been sub-zero freezing and then wet. I prefer the wet. Scraping car windows with a Subway card reminded me of Finland - and not in a good way.

No comments :

Post a Comment